Palaiokastro is a picturesque, well-organized beach and one of the most beloved beaches of locals. Moreover, the sea is deep and its western part has very large pebbles. The rocky seabed is ideal for fishing and snorkelling. Taverns, a mini market and some shops can also be found in Palaiokastro.
The beach of Ligaria is very beautiful with coarse sand and turquoise calm waters, while the small boats create magic scenery. Also the bay of Ligaria is closed and well protected from the winds blowing in the region. It is very well organized with umbrellas, sun beds, water sports, a diving school, beach bars, and restaurants.
More beaches in Heraklion prefecture that we suggest you to visit are:
- Ammoudara beach is a long beach with fine brownish sand. It is organized with sun beds, umbrellas, beach bars, lifeguard, showers, changing rooms and water sports, etc.
- Stalida beach: The beach of Stalida is very well organized with umbrellas, lifeguard, beach volley courts, showers, beach bars, water sports, changing rooms, etc. There is also a small colony of Cretan date palms, one of the few of north Heraklion prefecture.
- Agia Pelagia beach: The beach is a long and narrow beach with sand and greenish waters. Also the water is almost always calm and the bay forms a tranquil harbor. The beach offers many options for water sports, diving, umbrella and food, etc.
- Psaromoura beach: Psaromoura beautiful beach is pebbly and is very popular to locals. On the north end there is a large rock with many foldings which protects the beach from the waves. Another feature of the beach is the fish-boat that is tied to a makeshift pier, which makes the landscape look like a painting. Psaromoura nowadays is organized with full of umbrellas, sun beds and a canteen.
- Aspes beach: Aspes non organized - magical beach, has dark-colored sand and it is surrounded by almost vertical high cliffs with beautiful caves formed in them. The colors of the sea have a vivid turquoise color, making it one of the most beautiful and scenic beaches of Crete and probably the nicest beach of Heraklion prefecture. It is accessible only by boat.
- Agios Nikitas beach: A most lovely beach, it has small pebbles and deep blue waters. Flanked by red rocks of a volcanic origin, other massive rocks lying here and there on the beach make it a most unusual sight. It is not organized and without any infrastructure whatsoever. The place is also noted for a tiny stand of Theophrastus palms (the native Cretan species), fenced off and near the monastery, it almost looks like an oasis in a desert!
- Matala beach: It is one of the most popular destinations of Crete and the most famous beach of Heraklion. It is famous for the carved caves in the rocks and the hippies of the ‘70s. The bay is a beautiful 300 m long sandy beach with fine gravel & crystal clear deep water. The beach is well organized with umbrellas, toilets, showers, lifeguard, first aids, beach volley courts, snack bars, water sports, excursion boats, etc.
Book safely from the official Property Manager: